We work with many private companies and government bodies teaching safe and environmentally friendly 4WDriving practices.
The Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 requires employers to provide such training to employees as is necessary to enable them to perform their work in a manner that is safe and without risks to health. Investing in effective employee training will increase skills, knowledge, productivity, morale and help reduce workplace incidents.
PNL 4WDriving courses meet OH&S requirements and can be tailored to your specific needs. We ensure that your employees have the knowledge, skills and confidence to make appropriate decisions and handle vehicles safely under all conditions. Our 4WDrive Training equips your staff to do their jobs effectively and safely.
They will learn:
- What a 4WDrive is and how it works
- OHS issues associated with driving 4WDrives
- Techniques to safely manoeuvre your 4WD in sand, snow, mud and water crossings
- Techniques to safely navigate ascents and descents
- Techniques to safely navigate obstacles
- Practical recovery including winching techniques
- Night driving
- Team Building
- Accident avoidance
- Company procedures
- Vehicle inspection and maintenance including:
- Cost minimisation
- Repair costs
- Environmental and safety issues
Our courses offer:
- An all-weather 4WDrive training facility
- Access to real bush tracks to reinforce learning in a real life environment
- 4WDrive instructors that are dedicated 4WD enthusiasts with exceptional knowledge and experience
- Choice of nationally recognised subjects
- Excellent balance of theory and practice to ensure understanding
- Defensive Driving Courses can also be arranged
We’re Fully Accredited
We’re a Registered Training Organisation accredited by the Australian National Training Authority.
This enables us to offer nationally accredited and recognised training. So you can be confident that the skills you attain are of the highest quality and accepted and valued throughout Australia. Our training meets the industry-specific competency standards allowing for nationally consistent recognition of skills.
We provide a Statement of Attainment that is recognised within the Australian Qualifications Framework.
We’re Better Business Australia Tourism Accredited
This means you can be sure that your staff will be trained to a consistent standard with their qualifications recognised Australia wide.
We’re also a licensed tour operator with Parks Victoria and the Victoria Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning. We have the appropriate permits, skills, insurance and risk management procedures to use public land for training—so we can legally use the state forest to help your staff gain valuable experience on real bush tracks across a variety of terrains.
Quality of Training
Between us, we have over 120 years of 4WDriving experience.
All our instructors are active and experienced 4WD enthusiasts who spend much of their recreational time 4WDriving—so you’re assured of instruction that is up to date and very practical.
We use the most advanced form of teaching (generative learning) while still maintaining an enjoyable environment with a relaxed, holiday atmosphere.
- Ongoing advice such as pre-departure, vehicle/equipment purchase, vehicle setup
- Appropriate individual tuition
- Theory & prac spread over 2 days to ensure you can apply what you have learnt out in the field
- Small classes; maximum 8 participants
- Ratio of 1:4 instructors to participants
- A purpose-built 4WDrive obstacle course; providing a safe and controlled training environment (Smythesdale only)
- Training on natural bush tracks in various states or repair; the kind you will find when you go out there on your own
- Night drive – you may have to drive at night regardless of your intentions; participants have told us our night driving aspect was invaluable when driving in smoke in the 2009 bushfires, though at the time they never intended to drive at night.
- 126 page handbook (RRP $35) to take home and look at your own leisure
- Tokens for a local Car Wash to clean vehicles upon course completion (Narbethong only)
We have free camping and great facilities, including:
- Delightful tree-lined camping facilities for tents, camper trailers and caravans
- Toilets, hot/cold showers, BBQ and campfire
- Provision of morning & afternoon tea
- Catering available for meals
We’ll Save You Time & Money
- Effective training will save you money—due to reduced maintenance/repair costs for vehicles driven unsafely or hazards not tackled correctly
- Effective training will save you time—you can be certain that your staff will be able to operate out of remote and difficult areas competently and get themselves home safely without requiring intervention
- We’re environmentally friendly—there’s a tree planted for every participant to help offset our carbon footprint (trees labelled in training areas)
- We offer training in two training areas (east and west Victoria) or at your own site
- You can choose training dates that suit you (minimum of 4 participants required)
- We offer discounted prices for DTA Defensive Driving course with the John Bowe Institute of Driving
Our courses are developed with both industry and community under the nationally agreed AQF (Australian Qualifications Framework) and are called NRT (Nationally Recognised Training). Each qualification is based on the level of outcome and not on the length of the course.
PNL 4WDriving is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO #20810) through ASQA (Australian Skills and Qualifications Authority). ASQA administer us and other TAFEs, Universities and Training Providers. That allows us to issue Nationally Recognised qualifications.
So after the successful completion of the course participants will be issued with a Statement of Attainment that is recognised Australia wide covering all the competencies (subjects) you enrolled in.
In Layman’s Terms: Your course and subjects are recognised by all Universities, TAFEs or Training Providers Australia wide.
What is scope of registration?
A scope is a list of qualifications and units (subjects) that PNL 4WDriving are eligible and qualified to teach. Scope of registration specifies the AQF (Australian Qualifications Framework) qualifications and/or units of competency the training organisation (PNL 4WDriving) is registered to issue and the industry training and/or assessment services it is registered to provide.
How is scope determined?
Details of the proposed scope of registration are required in the initial application for registration, together with documented strategies for delivery and assessment of each qualification, or part thereof, that the training organisation wishes to deliver. The registering body audits the registered training organisation to ensure the organisation has the capacity to deliver the proposed qualifications/units of competency.
Please select from the course list the unit(s) or qualification that you want.
Yourself (with a sense of humour): DO NOT forget to bring your Drivers License.
Food: PNL 4WDriving supplies morning and afternoon tea. You need to arrange your own food for meals prior to the course, as it’s not readily available in the area. Centralised BBQ facilities are available for use. Catering is available at extra expense.
Clothing: Long pants and appropriate covered footwear for outdoor activity. Cold & Wet weather clothing is advisable as the course continues rain or shine. Also bring a sun hat and sunscreen.
Accommodation: Free camping is available on site. There are hot showers, toilets, a barbeque, and a wonderful fireplace all provided. Your own tent/camper trailer/caravan with bedding is required. Local accommodation is available if you prefer.
Recovery Equipment: PNL 4WDriving supplies all recovery equipment for use on your course. Please bring any recovery equipment you have and we will check your recovery equipment for you. DO NOT go and buy equipment before your course; come and see what we have and why.
Vehicle: 4WDrive vehicle in mechanically sound and clean condition. Vehicle mounted winch is required for the winching unit. Maximum 2 participants per vehicle plus space for an instructor.
PNL 4WDriving has two dedicated training areas:
Narbethong (NE of Healesville): Our all-weather training room is equipped with tea & coffee making facilities and a microwave. There is wonderful free camping with BBQs in the reserve directly opposite and PNL 4WDriving have eco-toilets and a hot shower available for use. We use the real world bush tracks in the adjacent Marysville State Forest to put the techniques we teach you in to practice.
Smythesdale (SW of Ballarat): PNL 4WDriving uses the Ballarat 4WDrive Club training area at Smythesdale. It is an excellent location with many 4WDrive obstacles located close to the Enfield State Park where we give you real world practical experience on tracks in the bush. Free camping on site is available with a wonderful open fire, BBQ facilities and undercover training/eating area, hot & cold showers and toilets are within Cooee.
Please see the Contact page for maps to these locations.